Monday, May 7, 2007

Inspiration from current patterns

My focus with sewing patterns is usually with vintage, but that is certainly not all I own.
Current patterns offer an abundance of variations and inspirations.

One of the reasons I subscribe to Joann's Fabrics newsletter is to receive the bi-weekly 40% off coupon, and the notification of which pattern brand is going to be on sale.
Perhaps McCalls, Simplicity, or Butterick will be $1.99 each (sometimes 99 cents each).
Or, my favorite is when Vogue is discounted to $5. Now that's special.

And even without a discount, don't forget Burda, New Look, Kwik Sew, or The Green Pepper.
green pepper bag pattern

I can't even begin to tell you the quantity of patterns I own.
Let's say hundreds and leave it at that.

So this is all to remind you to start sewing your tea towel if you haven't already.

If you're still stumped for ideas, I've got a ton of links to tutorials on the sidebar of this blog.
Please take advantage of them.

And don't forget the indie companies--some of the best patterns out there are the mom-and-pop brands.
Amy Butler has some amazing designs.
So does Indygo Junction,
and Favorite Things (including a couple of kick ass carpet bags).
Also, Rainbow-Splash has several fun bag designs.

Quilters might enjoy patchwork designs like
Rumbleford and Humbug bags by McKenna Linn (Nancy Restuccia) at Make-it-Easy.

Sandy's Grab Bag is by Sandy Corbin, but I can't find a direct link to a website.
Sandy's Grab Bag
The bag is reversible, and uses 1-1/2 to 2 yards of fabric.

Ditto (to not finding a website) with Mary Ann Sheppard's "star attraction" purse.
This bag is an older design, but I believe the pattern is still available for purchase.
Star Attraction
Ask your local quilt shop or fabric store if they can order these patterns for you, if you're interested.
I find a lot of these unique patterns at quilt shows.

I've received a few images of your finished projects, but it looks as if most of you will be making me work into the wee hours at the last hour.
Shoot, I haven't even finished my own bag yet!
So let's all get started.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mandelin said...

Just wanted to give an update so far. I had the purse completed and ready for a final test run. I made a satchel/backpack. I loaded it up with my laptop, lunch and a bottle of water on my way to work. I was just out the door to catch the bus; when the jean rivets pulled through the fabric. GRRR!!. So now I have to remove all of the rivets and figure something else out. The rivets are not long enough to go through a backing. Well that is my update. I wonder how everyone else is doing?

May 10, 2007 at 9:28 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Mandelin: thanks for writing. How frustrating for you! If it makes you feel any better, I've had that happen also. Maybe you could stitch the rivets in by hand, with a buttonhole stitch? I'm sure it's fixable!

May 10, 2007 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger Francine said...

Hi there. I just saw your star bag and would really like this pattern. Could you tell me if I can still get it, and if yes where please can I order it?

Thank you

Francine

October 13, 2009 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

@Francine: I hope you check back here because your email address doesn't come up in my comment notification (you have to enable it on blogger) and it's not listed on your blog either. I did a quick google search, and here's one

October 13, 2009 at 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home