Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Dangling charms

Amulet bags are the perfect vehicle for excess embellishment with charms, talismans, beads, etc.

Here is a lovely example of beading detail on a treasure bag from Unstrung Sisters (etsy)

For centuries, amulet bags have been made in African nations, for Native American practices, and have been used by Wiccans and pagans.

Often the bags are intricately stitched and beaded and/or constructed from leather, with elaborate designs and adornment. These are small bags, usually hung like necklaces from a cord or thong around the neck to carry sacred objects. The exterior charms often act as protective influence, but the bag itself usually contains additional protection inside in the form of crystals, feathers, herbs, etc.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

I am working on my amulet bag this weekend. It will be a prototype for one I hope to make with my students when we get back from our "off track" time in November. I am thinking either gratitude bag to tie in with Thanksgiving or a Success Bag to use throughout the year. I want to tie in a ceremony to go with it.

September 21, 2007 at 8:28 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Oh, I forgot to mention the charms, duh! I am using recycled #6 or #7 plastic to make shrinky dink charms. There is a tutorial on my blog.

September 21, 2007 at 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home