Thursday, April 9, 2009

New Challenge, and Scarf Gallery is up

I just realized it's April already, so I had better get on the ball and post a new challenge!
I'm actually still putting the finishing touches on my scarf bag, but that's okay, I'll post it soon.
The scarf challenge, sadly, didn't generate much participation.
The scarf challenge gallery is up for viewing.

The new theme is...neckties.
About time, huh?

So get a stash of neckties from the thrift store, or from a family member, and use them as the handle, or the side, or as the bag itself.

The great thing about neckties is the fabrics are often wild, fantastic, novelty prints.
If you have questions about washing the fabrics, I have lots of information on my necktie blog.

Let's shoot for finishing these by May 31.
Please email me a jpg at barbian 7(at)yahoo(dot)com, and I'll post the gallery by June 1.

Here are a few examples to get you inspired to create something fun (and of course I'll continue to post examples in the next few weeks).

Necktie bag from the etsy shop Devore Jones


Patchwork by Etui Design
crazy quilt bag - front
Designer Katie Sonin describes the construction as "quilt blocks of recycled neckties and scarves with hand embroidered embellishments. Bag body is faux suede. Straps are seatbelts trimmed with jacquard ribbon".

Another gorgeous and unusual bag by Etui Design, this one called Sutton
These bags are available on her website
The bags utilize neckties and vintage scarves.



Messenger bag by Betsy Grace
Several variations of necktie bags are available in the
etsy shop Tart Design.


This shoulder bag by bakkems uses a necktie for the side thickness and handle.
The rest of the purse is made of a recycled shirt and upholstery samples.
This bag is currently available in her etsy shop: minimeg.
IMG_1860

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Rory said...

Hi! my name is Rory, i can from Italy and i have a blog like you!.
Unfortunately i speak english just a little bit, but i follow you ever and i love your bags!!.
Compliment for your creations!.
See you son!!.
Rory.

April 9, 2009 at 2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb, these are amazing! I have about a dozen neckties you can have that I won't wear again. All I can say is "wow".

April 9, 2009 at 2:53 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Thanks for the compliments, Rory, but I just showcase other people's creations on this blog, so I can't take credit.

April 9, 2009 at 3:21 PM  
Blogger minimeg said...

Thanks for blogging about my bag! The bag (and others) are available on my etsy http://minimeg.etsy.com

April 9, 2009 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

Sounds like fun! I dyed easter eggs w/silk ties so I have a bag of half-cut up ties that I can use for this!

Heather

April 9, 2009 at 11:11 PM  
Blogger LauraK said...

Count me in on the necktie bag challenge, Barb. You know I can't resist this one!

April 13, 2009 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger Indigo Blue said...

Great, a new challenge. my husband did have some ties somewhere. I shall post about this on my blog again and link back to you.xx

April 20, 2009 at 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home