Wednesday, June 27, 2007

More Vinyl Inspiration

Vinyl Beach Bag
Vinyl is such a perfect material for beach bags.
This bag features clear outer pockets.
And what perfect inspiration I've found,
in a Japanese Craft Book called "Vinyl Bag Collection"
ISBN4-418-04131-1

You can buy clear vinyl at any fabric store (it is used to cover tablecloths, to make book covers, etc).
There are different gauges (meaning thickness).
I like the medium weight that is easy to use with a sewing machine, but not so flimsy as the really light one.
Sometimes you can find patterned vinyl, or tinted vinyl.
I like the clear varieties rather than the fabric-backed types used for upholstery that are so much thicker.
Oilcloth is another similar option that would make a cute beach bag.

Remember, when sewing vinyl, use a walking foot or a teflon foot.
Or, you can stitch with tissue paper either atop the feed dogs, or on top of your fabric (I prefer the latter).
A silicone like Sewer's Aid is also helpful.

Also, adjust your machine tension--too tight and the sewing will 'saw' the fabric rather than stitch it.
It takes a bit of practice, but once you master it....it's addicting.

Vinyl tote
Japanese bags tend to feature a lot of circles.
This is a see-through bag with circular appliques, all in vinyl.
This about makes me squeal with delight.

Vinyl flowers bag
Clear red with appliqued flowers.

Cherry Tote
I love the hanging cherries on this one.

Vinyl Tote
I could be wrong, but this appears to be a clear vinyl bag with fabric strips as embellishment.
I like that idea of combining materials.

Tank Top Tote
This one is called the Tank Top Tote, because that's what it looks like.
But it's all vinyl.

Are you inspired yet?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer W. said...

Looks like a great book!

June 28, 2007 at 7:12 AM  
Blogger FinnyKnits said...

I am slow, and I know this. BUT, I have a purse of my own design (sadly, no fun vinyl incorporation) nearly finished for me mum that I will post on shortly as my contribution to the Purse Project.

Meanwhile I'm really enjoying your posts here. Such cool ideas!

June 28, 2007 at 2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great book, thanks for sharing!

July 3, 2007 at 12:12 PM  
Anonymous tati said...

I found your blog through google because im planning on making a cool bag with vinyl! Thanks for the inspiration!
check out my blog: www.banana-note.blogspot.com

July 31, 2009 at 7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home