Thursday, March 6, 2008

How about giving painting a try?

When I linked the collaged purse from Violette's Folk Art, I didn't even realize how many more amazing examples she has.
The instructions for this bag are in the Spring issue of Creative Techniques.
She says, "I bought the purse for 2 dollars at the thrift store then revamped it with some of my art".
Also, "If you're not familiar with Creative Techniques i'll tell you a bit about it. Each project inside the magazine has to be created with 2 computer related techniques. I used Photoshop to work with my images as well as my Word program to type up words. It was fairly easy! If you are computer savy and would like to submit some project idea don't hesitate to contact the magazine"

Painted case, also collaged with photographs and ephemera.


Through Violette's blog I also found out about Alisa Burke, an artist who paints purses (and is coincidentally holding a class soon in my area. Hmmm...)



You can purchase some of her creations in her etsy shop.
AND, most exciting of all, she has a book coming out!
More info here.

If you're like me, and painting is a bit scary, this is the perfect opportunity to try something new.
Attempting new mediums is what this challenge thing is all about.
About stepping outside your comfort zone, and growing...
Go for it!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Nan said...

I defiantly have an idea for this one, I just didn't have any vintage linen that I was willing to part with as it's original design, I did try to go out and get something at a thrift store, but I never found anything that struck me as old enough to count!

Anyway, a one day contest for a free purse today on my blog, till 11:00 Eastern Coast time, as well as I am continuing with my month long blog-a-bration for my blogiversary.

March 7, 2008 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger Indigo Blue said...

I found a bag today in a charity shop. Not as inspiring as the shapes shown on your blog but I shall see what I can do to it. Will keep my eyes open for another just in case the magic item is still out there to be found!

March 8, 2008 at 3:08 PM  
Blogger LindaM said...

I love Violette and Alisa's work!I found a rubber tote bag (the same material that jelly's are made out of ) and finally found plastic paint to try out. I hope my eagerness is matched by my final output!

March 9, 2008 at 5:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 9, 2008 at 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home