Monday, July 7, 2008

New Gallery, and Theme #8

Okay, I posted the bag I made from a t-shirt to my woofnanny blog.

I received 7 entries for this challenge.
More than last time, but (sigh...) still far fewer than I had hoped would participate.
Even offering a prize didn't entice more people to try.
What, pray tell, is a girl to do?!

Actually, the prize is great for you guys, but it kind-of sucks for me because it is so so difficult to choose.
I mean, everyone's effort is excellent in its own right.
Ultimately, I decided to give Karen the prize this time.
Not only because her messenger bag is awesome, but because she has supported this blog from day one.
And I really appreciate that.

Karen, please go to Threadless and tell me which design you would like, the size, and where to ship it.

For those of you who didn't win, please be proud anyway.
I am so thankful to each of you. Really.
See the gallery here.

Okay, drumroll....
A new theme. Theme number eight.
I have so many ideas circling in my head that it's hard to choose.
Let's try Say Cheese.

Huh?

Make a bag that makes a focal point of something sentimental.
I would prefer this be in photograph form rather than someone else's clothing (this time. We'll do mourning type stuff in the future if I keep going with this blog).
Okay?

That means, reproduce a photo onto fabric and use that for the bag,
Or make shrinky plastic charms or buttons and embellish the bag,
or ?????

No it doesn't have to be cheesy (no pun intended).
I don't mean funky "mommy" brag bags.
I can almost see all of you backing away from the computer and shuffling your feet.
Hello! This blog is all about a CHALLENGE, remember?
Make something that you really would want to carry around, but with a sentimental emphasis.

Maybe take a bunch of family photos (transfers) and collage them, or cut them up and use the weird pieces.
Make the photos part of an applique.
Make the photos part of something else--like a three dimensional flower.
Print photos to fabric, then cut into strips and weave.
Or put real photos (like photobooth strips!) under vinyl (that could make fun stripes and add a design element).

Come on you guys--you can do this!

For inspiration:
Erin's bag with the horse photo memorializes her dad.
Her business, Pursue Your Art, sells bags that display your own photographs or art.
"Changeable art purse is a fun, fashionable way of expressing your artistic side. This purse was created to display your artwork, Artist Trading Cards (ATCs), greeting cards, photos and more. It's a miniature art gallery in a purse."

Another company,Art for Your Sake, makes photo montage tote bags because, "For some of us, photo purses are not fashion items, but a real physical connection to our loved ones."
We're talking really creative collages here--check it out.


HGTV has a tutorial on making a purse with a photo of its contents on the outside.
Not really sentimental, but pretty fun nevertheless.
Reminds me of an actor friend who used to work at an ad agency, and on the wall was a photo of the opposite wall. So when you looked at one wall, you'd be looking at the other. Ahem...yeah.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger MineFull said...

hmmmm, you've got me thinking!Do you have a deadline in mind? (sometimes knowing there's a looming deadline gets me going!!:)

July 11, 2008 at 6:37 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Oops, did I forget that? Each challenge runs two months. I also have the info at the top right of the sidebar. So this one goes thru July and August, and I'll post a new theme on Sept 1. I hope you participate!!! Please take advantage of the sidebar on this blog--it is full of resources and tutorials. The entire sidebar is links.

July 11, 2008 at 11:50 AM  
Blogger MineFull said...

whoopsy, thanks!

July 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home