Thursday, June 26, 2008

Buckets

Let's go off theme for a second.
This technically isn't a purse, but I can envision possibilities.
Add a strap?
Shoot, just use it to store you purses.
All I know is that it's cute, and Jodie of Ric Rac has posted a tutorial.
(thank you, Wendy, for linking)

Speaking of buckets, containers, and totes, here's a fun recycling project: a bag over a bleach bottle
Bag made over a bleach bottle
From Aleene's Creating with Plastic Bottles booklet, 1966

It used to be in vogue to crochet a top portion over a bleach bottle base (see the little green purse)
Crocheted Bags Pattens
like in this leaflet of patterns for crocheted bags, from Coats & Clark, 1973

MineFull has posted a tutorial for her version



Here's a similar one by Dottyral
She says, "I just punched holes around the plastic bottle. Did a row of single crochets through the holes, then a bunch of double crochet rounds. Put the drawstring through it. That's it. I wish I had cut the bottle down shorter. I think it would have been cuter."

This one also uses a bleach bottle, but is made from cutting shapes from the bottle, punching holes in the edges, then stitching the shapes together.
bleach bottle purse instructions 2
Posted by Compact Collection, I do not know the year this was published nor it's source (though the name Betty Russell is printed on the page).


crochet cradle purse
Originally uploaded by wendycohoon
Wendycohoon crochets over a vinegar bottle base.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger MineFull said...

Thanks Barb!
I love the pattern that compact colletcion posted entitiled Bottle! It's a really cute pattern, but the front cover just makes me giggle!
-Jenniffer

June 27, 2008 at 5:05 AM  
Blogger Dotty said...

I was going to comment on that one too! I've been wanting to make one of those for ages. Someday I'm going to do it. It just cracks me up.

Thanks for posting my bottle bag!

June 28, 2008 at 10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was really wondering if there is a pattern for the "vinegar bottle cradle purse"???
I have been making these for the little girls in our family and they definately could use the bottle for strength and know I could crochet around the bottle but it looks like the finished product has a crocheted inside to the bottle so that the bottle is crocheted inside too - that is the part that would elude me on how to do it - is there any pattern or source to help with this part???
Thanks!
~ Mary

July 7, 2008 at 9:22 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Mary, I wish I had a pattern, but I have not been able to contact the woman who made those. I'll try again, and if I get any info I'll update the post.

July 7, 2008 at 10:51 AM  
Blogger Kudzu said...

oh thanks! this is much like the one i'm looking for:D back when i was in girl scouts every crafter made some like this by crocheting fabric to the bleach bottle. this would be about early 1970's :D or whenever Clorox bleach began making the new turquoise colored plastic bottles :D

kudzu

May 19, 2010 at 7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home