Saturday, May 24, 2008

Who said your tee had to be flat?

The current challenge is to make a purse or tote or bag (whatever shape or size) from one or more t-shirts.
Helloooo--this doesn't mean you're limited to sewing squares.

You can always cut tees into strips and make 'yarn' for crocheting or knitting.
Yep.

Lettie of Polka Dot Pineapple was nice enough to allow me to post her tutorial.
Just please keep this for your own use, okay?

She says you can really move this along if you use a rotary cutter.

She crochets rugs and trivets, but I know this can make great bags too.

Jana posted a similar tutorial on eLoomanator.
The method of cutting yields one long spiral strip (versus tying small pieces together).
She says she can get 20 to 30 yards of 'yarn' from one tee!

Read both tutorials and see which you prefer.
I figure the more information, the better.
I am thankful for both posts.

Please see the tutorial links I have listed in the sidebar of this blog under 'crocheted' and 'knitted'.
I would think this idea (using tees for yarn) would work especially well with projects intended from plastic bag 'yarn'.
For example, The Round Bottom Plastic Bag Tote from Marlo's Crochet Corner would be adorable done in tees.


Cindy from My Recycled Bags is amazingly generous with
her patterns, a number of which could work with tee yarn.
How about this shoulder bag?


Inspired?
I certainly am.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great post. I hope you enjoy my tutorial on t-shirt yarn. Can't wait to see your fabulous creations!
Aloha!

May 24, 2008 at 10:31 PM  
Blogger RecycleCindy said...

Great post with lots of wonderful ideas. I love the tutorial on making yarn from old tee-shirts. I must try that. Thanks also for mentioning my recycled bags.

May 25, 2008 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Indigo Blue said...

I have found my tee shirt now to do something with it.

May 25, 2008 at 3:29 PM  
Blogger Way Out Wear said...

Very cool! Instead of sending them to the thrift store, I'm going to crochet. Thanks for the ideas.

May 26, 2008 at 8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home