Monday, July 14, 2008

More ideas on using a photograph in your purse design

One place to look for inspiration for this challenge is in quilts.
Photos are often used on mourning and memory quilts.
You have to be careful that the project not look too, well....crafty
(if you know what I mean).
Perhaps I'm imposing my own tastes here, but it's a fine line where a project works, and where you want to hide it in the back of your closet.
Make something you'll love to carry around and show off.

Carol K has come up with a great example of how to use quilting techniques on a tote (I think this bag is lovely)

treasure textiles bag
Originally uploaded by Carole K


(click on images to enlarge)

Pink Bird Girl has done something similar on a small quilt, but the panel could easily be transformed into a purse

Caught in a maze
Originally uploaded by pinkbirdgirl



Ditto this multi-media piece by Sara Laughs
Note the techniques she combined: photo transfer, text transfer, embroidery, stamping with hand-carved stamps, fabric painting, found objects


Think of how you can turn the techniques you use making ATC's, scrapbook pages, etc, into something that could work on a purse.
Remember, you can always use paper and just place it under vinyl if you don't want to use fabric

I like how subtle this one is.

Velo a Paris, 2006
Originally uploaded by Tara Badcock

The background is a transfer of a map of Paris. It could just as easily be a photograph of a person or place of significance to you.
Yes, your photo may be a place, an animal, people, or all of these.
I just want it to have sentimental significance to you.

If you have the proper tools or know-how, you can transform a photograph into stitches (usually cross-stitch) or beads.
Kim C StL machine embroidered this photograph using special software

Or you can look at values and create an applique, like this amazing representation of Wyatt, by Ms. Sad
(click on image to read more about how she created this)

Wyatt's Gone to the Birds
Originally uploaded by ms.sad

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger KC said...

Thank you for including my purse in your post. I've created many such embroidered portraits using Embird Sfumato software, but this one has always been my favorite (and the one I think of as the best I've done).

July 14, 2008 at 4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Woof Nanny (luv your name, btw):

what an honor it is for me to discover that you are blogging about my artwork! Yay! All of the pieces that I make are a labor of luv- primarily b/c I use dogs as the subject matter and just love to translate them into fiber art (a second luv!)
Thanks again for taking notice!
-ms.sad

July 14, 2008 at 6:52 PM  
Blogger indigocarole said...

Lovely to see my treasure bag on a blog. Thank you.

Carole
UK

July 15, 2008 at 5:55 AM  
Blogger Tararara said...

Thanks for including my 'Velo a Paris' piece on your blog.

July 20, 2008 at 10:26 AM  
Blogger Cathy Spivey Mendola said...

thanks for posting and blogging about my artwork! what an honor!
sorry it has taken a while to respond, I recently moved and I've
been caught up in unpacking, getting settled and haven't been checking my flickr.
thanks again!

August 10, 2008 at 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home